Whole Community Palliative Rounds (WCPR) is an interdisciplinary forum with representation from all sectors of health care including acute care, community care, long term care/personal care homes and primary care.
Each WCPR team has a medical leader and/or pharmacist that can make recommendations about medications that may be effective in managing specific symptoms. Each team also has representation from nursing, social work, allied health and pastoral care that can provide advice to manage pain and other symptoms from a holistic perspective.
WCPR uses a collaborative team based approach to address the complex and fluctuating needs of clients and families facing life-limiting illness.
The goal of WCPR is to support effective pain and symptom management and ensure coordinated and responsive palliative care across the care continuum.
Any client with life limiting illness who is experiencing any type of symptom burden whether it be physical, psychosocial or spiritual, can be referred to whole community palliative rounds by completing a referral form.
Referring providers will be invited to the round to present the client. The team will provide recommendations to the referring provider for implementation as appropriate.
Indications for referral to WCPR include but are not limited to:
- Clients with transitioning or unstable physical symptoms;
- Clients with complex psychosocial, emotional, spiritual or financial burden; and
- Clients with complex care needs that are transitioning between care settings and require effective communication and collaboration to ensure seamless care.
WCPR is established in the following communities:
- Rounds occur every Wednesday from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Referrals are accepted for clients who reside in the greater St. John’s area, up to but not including Holyrood, the Southern Shore up to and including Trepassey and Bell Island.
- Rounds occur every Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Referrals are accepted for clients who reside on the Bonavista Peninsula from Come by Chance to Bonavista.
- Rounds occur every Thursday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Referrals are accepted for clients who reside in the Rural Avalon catchment area from Placentia/St. Brides to Holyrood including, St. Mary’s Bay and Bay Roberts/Harbour Grace to Old Perlican including Trinity and Conception Bay.
- Rounds occur every second Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Referrals are accepted for clients who reside on the Burin Peninsula.